Senior Software Engineer (remote)
Sausalito, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
At Yardzen, we believe people are at their best when they’re outside.
We have a simple promise: help people envision the outdoor spaces of their dreams, all online, and then match them with the right local contractors to bring their design to life. Since our launch in 2018, we’ve helped thousands of homeowners achieve their dream yards, make environmentally responsible decisions, boost their property values and get more out of their outdoor spaces.
We are disrupting the $200 billion outdoor renovation industry. By leveraging technology and creating an innovative online process, we offer a more straightforward, transparent, and delightful design and build experience for the modern homeowner. We’ve been recognized as a Forbes Best Startup Employer, Fast Company Most Innovative Company, named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work, and written about by Architectural Digest, The New York Times, Sunset Magazine, House Beautiful, The Wall Street Journal, and Forbes. And we’re just getting started.
Yardzen is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Senior Software Engineer. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will play a critical role in leading the implementation of new features as well as the design of our systems. You will be a leader on the engineering team ensuring our systems enable a delightful user and developer experience. You will work cross-functionality with product and various teams to ensure we are delivering the right features on time.
Yardzen is building its next-generation platform and is looking for motivated and passionate engineers who thrive in working in a fast-paced environment.
- Deliver quality code on schedule
- Technical leadership for large and complex projects. This includes working with product to understand and craft requirements, working with the engineering team to design and implement
- Propose solutions to technical debt and be able to design and implement solutions to avoid technical debt.
- Mentorship and coaching in areas for which you are an expert
- Perform code reviews to make sure best practices and standards are being upheld and bugs avoided
- Seek out and identify opportunities and issues with our code and propose solutions. This can include patterns, processes, or new technologies.
- Work with product and engineering management to create time estimates for large features
- You have a love for writing code and seeing your solutions become successful.
- A deep understanding of iterative software development
- Proven track record of implementing impactful and successful features
- A passion for creating a developer experience that enables the team to be able to move quickly and focus on what matters. This includes using software design patterns that are highly scalable and easy to work with.
- 7+ years of experience, with at least 3 years in a senior role
- You are a true full-stack engineer, with experience not only working with the front and back end but also the infrastructure.
- Familiarity with security best practices
- You have ideas and do not hesitate to bring them to the table. This includes not only for our tech, but also our product and processes.
- An enjoyment for working with cross-functional teams to understand complex problems and craft software solutions
- A keen sense of UX and an empathy for the end user. You know what it means to build top-notch and polished front ends based on designs
- You have no problem occasionally working with missing requirements and you have the communication skills to find answers
- You love learning new things and exploring new technologies
- An ability to write effective tests. You do not have a dogmatic approach to 100% coverage and you can identify what needs to have test coverage and what does not.
Nice to have:
- Experience working on marketplace products
- Familiarity with the landscape design and construction industry
Our tech stack:
- Firebase and Firestore (however this is something we are moving away from)
Benefits & Perks:
- Equity in Yardzen
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee
- Unlimited PTO + NTO per quarter (Nature Time Off)
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Health & wellness stipend
- Cell phone and internet stipend
- Home office stipend
At Yardzen, we’re committed to creating a space where our employees can bring their full selves to work and have equal opportunities to succeed. We are looking for people that will add to our culture, not just fit in. So regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, origin, ability, age, or veteran status, if joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
Since April 2020, we're a remote-first organization. We believe work is a thing you do, not a place you go, and we can stay connected as an organization from anywhere. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with awesome people, authentic empowerment, and autonomy create the best results.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the application or the recruiting process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Yardzen is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in a state where Yardzen is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.