Fleet Manager (Portland)
Portland, OR, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2023
Portland, OR /
Operations Management /
Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill, less clutter in our customer’s homes, and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We’re funded and growing quickly and are excited to add to our team. We offer a strong benefits package, a flexible work and vacation schedule, and a team invested in the personal growth of its employees. This is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the role
Thousands of families in the Portland area love Ridwell and we’re looking for a Fleet Manager to oversee the day-to-day operations of Ridwell Portland's fleet team. We’re looking for new members to join our operations team who thrive in fast-paced environments and want to help improve how we do our work every day. We’re looking for team players who come up with creative ways to solve problems.
This is a full-time position for a Fleet Manager starting immediately. You need to be based in the Portland metro area. Prior, similar experience in Portland is a plus. Due to business operations, you need to be comfortable being around a warehouse environment. Ridwell follows all local COVID-19 regulations.
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 7 AM-3:30 PM
Compensation: $60,000 annually
- Our Member is our Hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal.
How to succeed in this role
- Schedule employees and route plans to make sure that all scheduled stops are complete while optimizing cost efficiency.
- Make sure the drivers get out the door in the morning with everything they need for success and return safely at the end of the day.
- Optimize and report on the economic performance for fleet operations.
- Ensure vehicles are properly equipped and operating safely. Schedule vehicle maintenance as needed, and ensure that billing is accurate. Rent additional vehicles as needed.
- Create, iterate, and improve standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Perform driver duties and complete routes as needed.
- Ensure compliance regarding all company policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Supervise, Train, and Support the Team
- Lead and cultivate a great place to work by bringing enthusiasm, communicating Ridwell’s mission and vision to the team, motivating the team to achieve operational excellence and an outstanding member experience.
- Approving time cards, ensuring employees are taking required rest and meal breaks.
- Regularly provide performance feedback and issue corrective action as needed.
- Mentoring, training, and developing employees for career progression, and performance development.
- Effectively leading and managing a diverse team of fleet leads and drivers.
- Proactively identifying pain points and leading process improvement initiatives.
- Monitoring staffing levels to look ahead and ensure we have the proper headcount and are able to meet the changing needs of the business.
- Consistently innovate and implement best practices in Fleet Operations and Safety.
We're open to a variety of backgrounds and experiences, but here are the general skills and experience we’re looking for
- Strong written and oral communication.
- Energetic and emotionally intelligent.
- Ability to problem solve independently and excellent critical evaluation.
- Must be able to prioritize and plan work activities, excellent time management.
- Must be organized, accurate, thorough, and able to monitor work for quality.
- Must be dependable, able to follow instructions, respond to management direction, and must be able to improve performance through management feedback.
- Must be able to read and follow written or oral instructions in English.
- Ability to effectively prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English digitally over text message, Slack, and email.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Must be available to work Monday-Friday and possible weekend time as needed.
- Must pass a background and motor vehicle check if offered the position
Benefits at Ridwell
We are committed to creating a supportive environment for our employees. We offer the following:
Flexible vacation and sick leave policy
Comprehensive healthcare benefits including vision and dental
Paid parental leave
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19