Engineering Manager, Application Security
Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital. We live by our six company values everyday: Success First, Customer Obsessed, Incredibly High Standards, Open Mindedness, Resilience, Impatience, and Positive & Optimistic. They are stitched into the way we work, interact with others, and hold ourselves accountable. We’re eager to hire individuals who are passionate about our mission, deeply aligned with our values, and are excited to help shape the future of customer service.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
The Security Engineering Group ensures that Intercom R&D ships secure software and that the development environments that engineering teams operate in to do so remains safe. Become the Engineering Manager of the Application Security team and join the globally distributed Information Security group, overseeing the security and trust of Intercom for 25,000+ businesses through defining and holding the bar for the security of our product.
What will I be doing?
As the Engineering Manager of multi-disciplinary security engineering team you will:
- Own the security of Intercom's engineering Software Development Lifecycle, providing security controls and guardrails to enable our R&D teams to move fast, while developing a secure application.
- Drive the execution of security assessments of product features, partnering with our engineering teams to identify security issues and drive their mitigation.
- Own product security features, helping our customers to maintain a healthy security posture in their use of the Intercom product.
- Manage security incidents at Intercom, leading investigations and identifying improvements which reduce the risk of repeat incidents.
- Partner with key stakeholders across our Infosec and engineering teams to define & realize our security vision, strategy & roadmaps for the Intercom product.
- Manage a globally distributed team of product and security engineers to create a collaborative team culture that achieves high levels of productivity, performance and reliability.
- Help to shape and evolve our engineering culture by contributing to our engineering organization programs.
What skills do I need? 📖
We recognise that sometimes these lists can appear as strict requirements, but that’s not the case. Even if you feel you have a subset of the experience below - that’s ok, we’d love to talk to you!
- Experience developing and supporting a team of engineers in their personal growth and career progression.
- Familiarity with performing security assessments to identify and mitigate software security vulnerabilities
- A proven track record in partnering closely with engineering teams, product managers and R&D leadership to deliver pragmatic, secure product solutions & processes.
- Experience in security incident response, managing or contributing to the containment, investigation and recovery of security incidents
- An ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment. You’ll have the autonomy to prioritise, explore and determine your own solutions to problems.
How will I be supported?
- You will report to the Director of Security Engineering
- You will buddy with another Dublin-based manager who will help you to onboard and get up to speed quickly.
- You will have a close group of management peers to collaborate with and learn from.
- We invest heavily in our Managers, supporting individual career development through training and coaching.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Intercom has a hybrid working policy. We believe that working in person helps us stay connected, collaborate easier and create a great culture while still providing flexibility to work from home. We expect employees to be in the office at least two days per week.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Is this role not quite what you're looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.