Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital. We live by our six company values everyday: Success First, Customer Obsessed, Incredibly High Standards, Open Mindedness, Resilience, Impatience, and Positive & Optimistic. They are stitched into the way we work, interact with others, and hold ourselves accountable. We’re eager to hire individuals who are passionate about our mission, deeply aligned with our values, and are excited to help shape the future of customer service.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We’re looking for a clever and driven Communications Manager to join our small but influential global communications team. This position will be based in San Francisco and report to the Senior Communications Manager. This isn’t your status quo communications team—we prioritize ingenuity, take a grounded and realistic approach to communications, and don’t rely on “best practices” for the sake of “best practices.” You’ll have the opportunity to define the communications function and make an immediate impact on high-level company work.
The Communications Manager will focus primarily on proactive and reactive external communications. There’s lots of room for growth and creativity, with the potential for the right person to take over external communications in the future. While we’re looking for someone who has direct experience on the external side, this position offers the unique opportunity to contribute to the day-to-day rebuild of an internal communications program from scratch, including All Hands meetings, company-wide communications materials and more.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Work with the Senior Communications Manager on high-level external communications strategy
- Develop comprehensive communications plans with clear objectives, sharp messaging, timelines, and success metrics
- Directly manage the day-to-day communications agency
- Execute media relations, speaking opportunities, narrative and messaging creation, some awards programs and more
- Create and manage news announcements, launches and thought leadership programs
- Place Intercom’s messages and POVs in both traditional and non-traditional media
- Work cross-functionally with teams including Go-To-Market, R&D, People and more
- Contribute to rebuilding an internal communications program
What skills do I need? 📖
- 5+ years of external communications experience (both agency and in-house) with direct agency management experience; high-growth tech or startup experience is required
- Experience contributing to overall communications strategy and developing communications plans
- Ability to brainstorm and pitch stories to both traditional and non-traditional media, with a proven track record of success. You should have relationships with business and technology press, but also understand how and where people consume content beyond traditional press
- Strong writing skills and the ability to develop and edit content, including pitches, speaking abstracts, award submissions, briefing materials and other documents
- Strong project management and prioritization skills, with experience handling multiple projects at once and proven ability to switch gears quickly and effectively
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal) with prior experience partnering and consulting with leadership and executives
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field
- Absolutely stellar organizational skills and attention to detail
- A positive outlook and growth mindset
- Adaptable and resourceful in a fluid, fast-paced environment, with the ability to deliver great communication under pressure
- Solid reasoning, critical thinking, and judgment instincts to make sound decisions in unpredictable situations
- Emotional intelligence driven by intuition, with an empathetic mindset
- Aligns with our team values
- Move fast, but with purpose
- Protect the Intercom brand
- Prioritize ingenuity over status quo
- Communication should be transparent, clear, concise and simple
- Bias towards action to anticipate problems and solve them proactively
- Approachable, authentic and confident communicator that keeps it real and simple, without overly formal speak or jargon
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Regular compensation reviews - great work is rewarded!
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- 401k plan & match
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
The base salary range for candidates within the San Francisco Bay Area is $110,500 - $149,500. Actual base pay will depend on a variety of factors such as education, skills, experience, location, etc. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All regular employees may also be eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Intercom has a hybrid working policy. We believe that working in person helps us stay connected, collaborate easier and create a great culture while still providing flexibility to work from home. We expect employees to be in the office at least two days per week.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Is this role not quite what you're looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.