Senior Engineering Manager, Human Support
Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We are seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead a key domain area in our AI-enhanced help desk product suite. This role requires strong managerial expertise as well as technical and strategic leadership. Working with the Director of Engineering for Help Desk, you will actively participate in initiatives aimed at improving the overall performance and standards of the Help Desk product teams and wider engineering org.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Become the primary engineering leader within your domain, setting a clear strategy in partnership with product, and design leaders on your team.
- Lead and empower your team to deliver high impact outcomes against this strategy, rapidly shipping new or improved product experiences for customers that clearly drive revenue growth.
- Manage for impact and be a driving force for the success of your team.
- Partner with the Director of Engineering for Help Desk to drive programs that elevate the standards and performance of the Help Desk product teams.
- Drive initiatives that raise the standards or improve outcomes across the engineering organisation.
- Teach, mentor, coach, empower and be a role model for engineers and other engineering managers.
- Create an environment in which everyone on your team is able to grow and achieve success.
What skills do I need? 📖
We recognise that sometimes these lists can appear as strict requirements, but that’s not the case. Even if you feel you have a subset of the experience below - that’s ok, we’d love to talk to you!
- Proven ability to lead engineering teams that deliver impactful results fast
- Strong product and strategic mindset and experience influencing product strategy
- Robust track record of collaborating with product and design leaders to achieve stellar outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in nurturing and guiding engineers through their personal and professional growth.
- Evident success in a comparable technical leadership position.
- A persistent growth mindset and an insatiable appetite for learning.
- The capacity to excel in an ambiguous environment with a high degree of autonomy.
Company Culture & Values:
At Intercom, we champion individuals who display a high degree of agency and autonomy. Our pace is fast, and our standards are incredibly high. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will be directly accountable for your team's success, and we will rely on you to manage for impact to actively drive for success.
Growth & Career Opportunities:
This position offers more than a managerial role—it's a leadership journey. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will not only oversee your team but also be put in a position to undertake broader leadership responsibilities. At Intercom you’ll be in a position to rapidly accelerate your growth trajectory.
How will I be supported?
- You will buddy with another London based manager who will help you to onboard and get up to speed quickly.
- You will have a close group of management peers to collaborate with and learn from.
- You will be managed by the Director of Engineering for Help Desk.
- We invest heavily in our Managers, supporting individual career development through training and coaching.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Intercom is currently able to hire if an employee has a permanent residence in the following locations; Australia, Ireland, England and applicable US states. (California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Washington).
Is this role not quite what you're looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.