Senior Revenue Accountant
Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Revenue is one of the most important performance indicators for Intercom’s management and our investors. If revenue accounting is more than just a job for you, is a calling, and you thrive in a fast-paced work environment and you are not intimidated by executives asking you questions, then this high visibility role is right for you.
As a Senior Revenue Accountant, you will completely own revenue accounting, reporting, and you will collaborate with the Finance team on revenue forecasting. You will help to build the best-in-class scalable and repeatable processes by working with Intercom’s Business Systems team on automation opportunities. You will contribute technical accounting expertise to research revenue accounting issues and provide guidance to business partners in Sales, Legal, Pricing and Packaging teams. You will help to structure deals with customers and launch new offerings to the market with the optimal financial outcome for Intercom.
What will I be doing? 🚀
Accounting close and reporting:
- Manage Zuora close process, Prepare journal entries to transfer billing, revenue, and cash activity from Zuora to NetSuite.
- Analyze multi-element transactions for compliance with SSP bands, calculate monthly allocation between SaaS and professional services revenues and make revenue reclassification adjustments.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for accounts receivable, deferred revenue, Stripe Fees, Stripe VAT
- Own revenue reporting and preparation of revenue disclosures in the financial statements (e.g. disaggregated revenue reporting, contracts assets and liabilities, remaining performance obligations)
- Collaborate with the FP&A team on budget vs. actual revenue reviews to explain sources of variances.
- Calculation of partner commissions and preparation of accrued partner commission liability reconciliation.
- Coordination of accrual recording with the sales commissions team and preparation of reconciliations for accrued sales commissions.
- Partner with the Billing Operations team on recording non-standard transactions.
- Maintain standalone selling prices compliance analysis quarterly.
- Fill out ASC 606 checklists for contacts with customers
- Analysis of concessions impact on variable consideration
- Assist with the annual audits: prepare audit packages with invoices and related contracts.
- Participate in revenue accounting automation projects, work with the IT, Sales Ops, Billing Ops on developing UAT scenarios and execute UAT.
- Work with the Revenue Accounting Sr. Manager, IT, Billing Ops team on the design and implementation of internal controls over the Order-to-Cash process and over the revenue accounting and reporting process.
What skills do I need? 📖
- BA or higher degree in Accounting
- Previous public accounting experience of at least 2 years
- Working knowledge of ASC 606 with the experience of applying the standard to software or SaaS companies revenues
- Advanced Excel skills (lookups, pivots, match, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Industry experience
- SQL knowledge
- NetSuite Advanced Revenue Management experience
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Regular compensation reviews - great work is rewarded!
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- 401k plan & match
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
The base salary range for candidates within the San Francisco Bay Area is $131,800 - $178,300 . Actual base pay will depend on a variety of factors such as education, skills, experience, location, etc. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All regular employees may also be eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Intercom is currently able to hire if an employee has a permanent residence in the following locations; Australia, Ireland, England and applicable US states. (California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Washington).
Is this role not quite what you're looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.