Staff Engineer - Website
Intercom is redefining how businesses support their customers using powerful messaging and automation.
Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Lyft Business, rely on Intercom to deliver efficient and personal customer experiences at scale. Intercom is used to send over 500 million messages per month and enables interactions with over 600 million monthly active end users.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through in-product messaging, and so much more!
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Our website is the centerpiece of our brand, the public source of truth about Intercom's products, and the number one driver of leads for our demand generation team. Intercom.com sits at the intersection of awareness, product marketing, demand, and support.
Intercom's web team is looking for a Staff Engineer who will lead the evolution of our website experience, to fully utilize modern web technologies to deliver great experiences for our visitors while meeting our marketing goals at speed and scale. The focus of this position is to collaborate directly with a wide variety of business stakeholders to outline objectives and guide the best use and implementation of web capabilities to showcase our portfolio, drive engagement, and capture leads.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- You’ll be given full ownership to drive and execute new website capabilities and experiences
- Work in a cross-functional team with design, product, and engineering teams
- Collaborate with strategic partners across brand, marketing ops, product marketing, and demand
- Translate stakeholder and company goals into engineering programs and execution plans
- Involved in the full software lifecycle across the entire stack, by contributing in design meetings, providing feedback, collaborating with other engineers to execute and deploying projects in production.
- Directly accountable for critical front-end and back-end systems health and capabilities
- Part of a collaborative, inclusive, and supportive team culture focused on fast, focused, high-impact execution
What skills do I need? 📖
- Minimum of 8 years of experience leading and building teams as a lead engineer or architect.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying and leading significant strategic investments to drive impact.
- Strong strategic thinking skills with a hands-on approach.
- Excellent collaboration abilities with principal engineering teams and peer staff engineers.
- Demonstrated ability in working closely with Engineering Managers (EM) and Product Managers (PM) to prioritize and staff engineering investments.
- Strong opinions on the right tooling but maintains a pragmatic and open-minded approach.
- Proficient in driving multiple strategic projects simultaneously.
Able to work across various systems scopes, including:
- Customer-facing UI/UX
- Customer behavior capture, instrumentation, and web optimization
- Foundational MarTech tools such as webflow, contentful, mutiny
- Engineering infrastructure including CI/CD, fleet management, and APIs
- Data infrastructure involving data structuring, SQL, and reporting
- Experience in building navigation elements and scrolling experiences.
- Strong understanding of UI/UX principles.
- Ability to build multi-platform (Mobile, Web) and cross-browser components that adapt to different screen sizes.
- Passion for engineering excellence, clean coding practices, and adherence to SOLID principles.
- Proficiency in assessing performance through metrics and providing suggestions for improvements.
- Expertise in integrating, developing, or scaling the usage of solutions like Contentful (CMS), Marketo (Marketing Automation), Mutiny (Personalization), Optimizely (A/B Testing), Google Tag Manager (Tags), and Google Analytics (Reporting).
- Proven track record of improving site performance (Google CWV), technical SEO structures and site indexation, UI/UX, deployment workflows (parallel projects/multiple users), and staging sites (mirroring production/QA).
Working at Intercom 🤩
Our culture is open, friendly, and inclusive - and this is something we are proud of. We like to experiment, sometimes inventing things for the first time, but we stay pragmatic, starting small and simple in everything we do. We want to help people grow and do the best work of their careers and we want everybody to work with co-workers who value kindness, optimism, and positivity.
We love people who genuinely want to learn and grow, and we take bets on high-potential people on rapid trajectories. We’re opinionated by default, for example, we run less software and ship continuously. We’re technically conservative and like to keep it simple, but where it means building better products we’ll double down on new technology like machine learning in a pragmatic way.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Pension scheme & match up to 4%
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Intercom is currently able to hire if an employee has a permanent residence in the following locations; Australia, Ireland, England and applicable US states. (California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Washington).
Is this role not quite what you're looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.
Something looks off?