Director, Platform Engineering - EU
Let’s face it, a company whose mission is human transformation better have some fresh thinking about the employer/employee relationship.
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
In this critical leadership role as a director of engineering, you will be responsible for growing and investing in our world class talent. BetterUp has seen rapid growth in its core business in the past few quarters and we are looking for your expertise in scaling our processes and the technical roadmap to help us get to our next milestones. We are on a path to a $1B in revenue and helping millions of members live their lives with great clarity, purpose, and passion. As a leader, you will work closely with product, design, people insights, data, and our fantastic coaches to build the next iteration of our products to delight our members and our partners. If you are passionate about technology that integrates the best of the research in behavioral science to help people achieve their goals, come join us.
What you’ll do:
- Recruit, hire, and develop a world-class remote-first engineering team.
- Build strong organizational cultures focused on growth, innovation, and fostering creativity
- Work directly with our product, design and operations functions to define and refine product and engineering roadmap to drive business value and impact
- Optimize and evolve engineering best practices and processes
- Find ways to continuously balance investments in new initiatives and scale existing offerings.
- Develop the technical roadmap and architecture for your focus areas by working closely with the product and leadership teams.
- Drive technical alignment with other engineering leaders as we scale our architecture to meet the needs of our customers.
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- Passion for impacting human performance and well-being at the intersection of technology and behavioral science.
- 12 years minimum software development experience, with 5 years of management experience.
- Proven leadership skills and strong oral and written communication
- Experience managing managers is a plus.
- Expertise in agile software development processes (Kanban/SCRUM/Lean principles)
- Ruthless prioritization and ability to deliver maximum impact with minimal effort
- Deep understanding of SaaS/PaaS cloud architectures (AWS)
- Experience growing and learning in other rapid growth environments is a plus.
- Strong technical background with cloud or application engineering.
- Prior experience with coaching is a plus.
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Company wide Summer & Winter breaks
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
At BetterUp, we compensate our employees fairly for their work. Base salary is determined by job-related experience, education/training, residence location, as well as market indicators. The range below is representative of base salary only and does not include equity, sales bonus plans (when applicable) and benefits. This range may be modified in the future.