Staff Site Reliability Engineer
Let’s face it, a company whose mission is human transformation better have some fresh thinking about the employer/employee relationship.
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
We’re looking for a driven software engineer who cares deeply about their craft, and who wants to use their skills to bring about positive change in the world while working in a high performing organization using modern software development approaches. Someone who is comfortable in the rapidly changing nature of a startup environment but also adept at moving relentlessly forward: doing what needs to be done to unblock projects that truly deliver value to our users. At BetterUp we delight in supporting and pushing each other to bring out the best in our colleagues, and would love someone to join the team who shares our passions for empathy, excellence, and continuous improvement. We also deeply understand that a key to peak performance is balance, and our culture is focused on providing the support our people need to be able to bring their whole selves to bear in service of our mission.
What you’ll do:
- Site Reliability Engineer - Collaborate with members of the engineering team to define and operationalize service level objectives (SLO) and find sustainable methods for monitoring, managing, and scaling our platforms and services.
- Lean and Agile Owner - Collaborate with cross-functional teams to distill and synthesize non-functional requirements into discreet and meaningful iterations that can be quickly implemented. Leverage Lean Startup and Agile methodologies along with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment infrastructure to rapidly prototype and validate ideas.
- Operational Maintainer - As an SRE, you will be responsible for managing the on-call rotation for the engineering squad. It is expected that when not actively triaging or responding to an incident, that you will spend the balance of your time building process, procedures, and technology that result in service level indicators (SLI) that align with our service level objectives.
- Problem Solver - Be ready, willing, and able to dive into logs, statsd, and other various platform telemetries to identify potential performance, scale, and stability issues before they become bottlenecks.
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- 5+ years engineering experience, at least part of which is in a startup environment
- Recent and relevant experience with compliance and security regulations and processes
- Alignment with BetterUp mission of enabling self-driven behavior change
- Succeeded in a remote work environment
- Advanced level experience with Infrastructure as Code (e.g, Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Willingness to participate in a 24x7x365 on-call rotation
- Experience identifying and establishing meaningful service level indicators and objectives
- Experienced in Agile product development processes (SCRUM, Kanban, Lean Startup, etc)
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Impressive track record of maintaining a high bar of quality, stability, and availability
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Company wide Summer & Winter breaks
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
At BetterUp, we compensate our employees fairly for their work. Base salary is determined by job-related experience, education/training, residence location, as well as market indicators. The range below is representative of base salary only and does not include equity, sales bonus plans (when applicable) and benefits. This range may be modified in the future.
The base salary range for this role is $126,300 – $189,400.